Situated in Tsim Sha Tsui, St. Andrew's Church has recently completed a major extension, with the addition of a large underground building by Nelson Chen Architects.
The new building, measuring 2,875 sq-m, is located below the existing front courtyard, which has been restored with replanted trees and landscaping on a new roof garden. It comprises of an 800-seat auditorium with baptismal pool, vestry and entrance to Nathan Road.
The new extension is connected to the church building by a stairway to the roof garden, a lift is available for the disabled as well. The subterranean amphitheatre is skylighted above the altar/stage and along the semi-circular perimeter walls to allow natural light to penetrate inside. A classroom and a youth hall are also located at the lower level of the new construction.
Originally built in 1906, St. Andrew's Church is a historic building and is protected by the Antiquities and Monuments Office. To make more space, underground development was the only solution, however the new construction is compatible with its heritage site by preserving and enhancing original buildings and grounds.